Tuesday, September 22, 2009

It's Over

It's in the air. The coldness. The relative darkness of the morning that greets my wife and I as we drive to work. The yellowing leaves on the trees. In fact some are already beginning to fall.
^%$%$!!!

Today is the official first day of autumm. What on earth happened to summer? Did it already end? While I do like what fall brings (apple cider, the sound of crackling leaves under your feet, campfires, the fiery red color of fall leaves) it's what follows I dread: the white stuff that comes next, winter. It was a topic of half-hearted humor at clinic today when I saw my patients, for we knew when we next met for their 3-monthly hemoglobin A1c checks we'd see the dreaded white stuff on the ground.
And childishly, fearfully, this will be the first winter in, oh, 4 year, where I won't get to spend with my family (well, aside from my wife)- mom and dad usually like to spend a month here during winter but I talked them into coming during spring 2010. So much for my big fat mouth. Oh well.