Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Yup, that's me, with the white shirt. Way back in 1993, with the 'Tommy Page' hairstyle and aviator glasses. Gawd. *cringe*
(I bet you Americans never even heard of him, have you? He was supposed to be the biggest thing out of the US since Elvis; he sang only soppy love songs. Strangely enough, he was only popular in Asia; no one here has ever heard of him).
Someone posted that picture of me on Facebook. Ah, the wonders of modern technology. People are able to find your old, embarassing pictures and post them for the world to see.
But anyways. This relates to my earlier posting about about being a nerd.
My wife happens to think I'm a big time nerd. I had reminisced to her about how I missed my high school buddies, and our good ole days.
I was in the school prefectorial board. I became the head prefect before I left for college. Basically, we enforced the strict school rules and were universally hated. We would cite students for having long hair, or write them up if they forgot their name tag. We'd even force them to cut their nails if they were long, in public. Gawd, we loved the code we adhered to.
I was also in the St. John Ambulance Brigade, something akin to the Red Cross. Over the years I rose to the rank of Cadet Leader, and was the vice-chairman of my division. I proudly wore the stripes on my right shoulder.
I also founded the Astronomy Society. And was involved in a few other clubs.
We even had our own 'gang'. We called ourselves 'Now & Forever' (I'm still pretty close to many of them, though).
Then, I thought I was cool. I thought I was admired. That the juniors wanted to be like me. Though I always wondered why the cute girls never paid any attention to me.
That is, until my dear wife gently put me in my place. After hearing all my exciting stories of high school, she giggled and said, "I knew it, I married a nerd. I've always had a thing for nerds!"

That figures.