We are in the midst of some health issues in our household. Truth be told, this has me questioning the logic behind it all.
It's true, the cynics say- doctors save others' lives, at the cost of their own.
How many times have we missed meals, sleep or rest, family events, because of oncall or clinic responsibilities?
I'm reminded of this now- my wife is going through some issues, and we needed to seek some urgent neurosurgical opinion. Thankfully, we were able to get an appointment in a timely manner. However, it was short-notice enough that it was impossible for me to reschedule my clinic, without upsetting some patients or staff. And so there I was- rushing between patients and running to her appointment, and back. Missing some of it. And through it all- an overwhelming sense of guilt; what is the point of being a healthcare provider, if we can't look after ourselves and our loved ones? The ones who should matter the most?
What is the point of being a great physician, if I can't help with my wife's suffering?
Do I have my priorities wrong? Am I at a point when I am ready to walk away?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home