Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Idle Thoughts

Dad told me this. The most memorable stages in a man's life are:
When he gets married
When he becomes a father
When he becomes a grandfather

While it's going to be a while before I hit the 3rd one, I have to say that I can relate to the other 2.
It's amazing how little Alli has grown. She turns 8 weeks old tomorrow. 8 weeks! From a tiny little embryo to a 9-lb mass of crying drool and poop-making wonder. She even already starting to outgrow some of her onesies.

As much as I'd like to say how tired I am playing the role of the father, really, this cannot possibly compare to what my amazing wife has to put up with. While I was at work, she had to look after, feed Alli. At night, because I was oncall or had to work the next day she would usually not let me help with the nighttime feeding. So, I got to sleep through most of the nights while she either had to get up to feed, or to pump. All this, with the gentle grace of a loving mother. She started school again yesterday (she's finishing up her Masters) 2 hours away from home and gets to come home only on weekends. I can only imagine how tough it is for her, since I go into baby withdrawal after not having seen her in a few hours. All this, and yet that amazing woman manages to write a paper and get her manuscript accepted for publication in a medical journal during her postpartum period!
So hun, this one's for you. You are the most amazing woman I know; I love you!