Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Star Trek

I watched Star Trek today.
Okay, I'm the first to admit; I'm a hopeless trekkie. Like the millions of other nerds out there, I can tell you the ship serial number of the Enterprise. I can tell you what Capt. Kirk's middle name is. And who can forget, the Vulcan Live Long and Prosper hand sign. And so I'm pretty easy to please. I'll probably just be as happy watching Capt. Kirk ride a pile of dogshit and doing hand puppets, just as long as it's a Star Trek show, and so my opinions are probably biased.
But man, was that a great movie or what??? Granted, the wormhole/alternate universe thing was giving me a headache, and I thought the part about Kirk getting his post seemed implausible. But still, as a Star Trek movie, this had a lot more seat-gripping action than I expected. And that thing between Uhura and Spock was a bit surprising, though I think they pulled it off quite well. And though I thought John Cho played Sulu's part really well, I have to say it's hard to see him in any other role after the Harold and Kumar series.
One down, more to go. X-men, G.I. Joe, Angels and Demons, Terminator, Transformers. This is going to be a pretty exciting season...