Life (and death)...
My life as a Malaysian doctor in the United States.
Friday, June 26, 2009
Monday, June 22, 2009
Trying to convince myself that it was cool and enjoyable. As refreshing as drinking a mouthful of pure desert sand. And to think 7 months from now, we'll be complaining of the total opposite. Minus 39° C.
Shudder. A 78 degree difference between summer and winter. KNNCCB!!!!
Friday, June 19, 2009
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
And so the new medical academic year begins. I see it on the face of the enthusiastic, starry-eyed medstudent who shadowed me today. I hear it in the anxious excitement in my sister's voice as she begins life as an intern. Ah, what words of wisdom can I impart?
- The words 'holiday' and 'weekend' no longer exist in your sleep
- You learn to function on 5 hours of sleep every night
- Your new year now begins in June
- Sleep when you can. Eat when you can. There will be no such thing as 'lunchbreak' anymore
- Learn to keep a straight face when you answer the question "Who would like to see this patient" with "Why, yes, I'd love to!"
- A quote from the fabled 'The House of God' By Samuel Shem: At a cardiac arrest, the first procedure to do is to check your own pulse.
- Learn to kiss ass. Really
- There is no such thing as too much coffee
- Never say no to free food
- Treat the nurses nice; they can make your callnight easy, or a living hell. Speaking from experience: a bag of chocolates as a peace offering does wonders
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Seriously. Go Google this or something. Tandem, of course. Some of the wedding visitors were able to watch him perform the landing.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Saturday, June 06, 2009
I daresay most if not ALL of us were pretty emotional during the ceremony, knowing what these two guys have gone through. Myself, my eyes started tearing up when the couple offered roses to the mothers after they exchanged their vows. Somewhere to my right, I could swear I hear Alan, one of buddy's good friends here, sniffing. Alan, a tough, no-nonsense 6 foot tall American guy.
The bastard. Made the rest of us guys look bad.
It's all true! Damn, I got to hook up with this hot blue-eyed blonde bombshell and we had a hell of a magical night! Man, I love being in American weddings. Something about these women seeing other men get married that makes them wanna get a guy. Any guy.
This was the chick I hooked up with (Strangely enough, she bears an uncanny resemblence to my wife. I wonder why?)
Friday, June 05, 2009
Buddy's wedding weekend
Wednesday, June 03, 2009
Tuesday, June 02, 2009
A Tale of 2 Patients
Monday, June 01, 2009
A few months ago I had asked my supervisor: I had been told it is not up to me whether I can no-charge a patient, even if they have financial difficulties. That simply opens up too many doors for risk of patient discrimination; i.e. why did I give free treatment to one patient and not another.